Teacher Preparation Institute (TPI)
Subscribe to our e-mail list to receive up-to-date information about upcoming events and workshops!
- Currently there are more than 6.2 million K-12 students in California and more than 300,000 teachers
- According to the California Department of Education, the demand for teachers will continue to grow as almost 100,000 of those teachers are expected to retire in the next 10 years
- Instructional aides will also be needed, especially to assist students with special needs.
- The greatest need areas for teachers are in the subject areas of special education, math, and science.
- There is a critical shortage of males teaching in elementary schools
- Teachers from diverse cultural backgrounds are underrepresented in all K-12 classrooms.
- To become a credential teacher requires completion of a Bachelor's Degree and courses in a credential program at a 4-year college (typically offered in the Department of Education)
- In this area of California, a new teacher's annual salary is approximately $54,000 for a 9 or 10 month responsibility. During summers, teachers can earn more money in teaching summer school.
- There are many financial incentives for teachers: state income tax reductions, mortgage assistance and student loan forgiveness.
- Those who already have a Bachelor's Degree should have their transcripts evaluated at the university where they wish to get their teaching credential. Many of the courses taken in any major will qualify for the elementary or secondary path toward a credential, so it is likely that students with degrees will not take many community college courses. However, while taking those Mt. SAC courses, students are welcome to join TPI.
Step Up Tutoring
In collaboration with the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD), Teacher Prep is excited to announce a great volunteer opportunity: Step Up Tutoring. Volunteers will work with LAUSD's underserved communities, virtually tutoring 4th through 6th grade students.
TPI Buddy Program
Mt. SAC's Teacher Preparation Institute is excited to announce its new TPI Buddy Program!
Taking place of required volunteer hours for fall and spring semesters, TPI Members are highly encouraged to participate in the TPI Buddy Program.
Volunteer at Walnut High School TBA
Fall 2022 Orientation dates are now available!
The first step to becoming a member of the Teacher Preparation Center is to attend an Orientation Session. To find out the kinds of support and services provided to future teachers and aides who are in this program, attend a 60 minute Orientation.
Registration is required and available on the TPI Orientation page.
- Support for future Educators and Instructional Aides
- CBEST/CSET reimbursement
- Teacher related presentations
- Designated "apple" courses and textbook loaner books
- Specialized Teacher Prep Counselors
- Advisement appointments with Cal Poly Pomona, Cal State Fullerton, Cal State Los Angeles, La Verne University, and UCR.
- Personalized assistance with CSU transfer application. Click HERE to request an appointment.
- Employment & Volunteer Opportunities
TPI is closed during the summer
We resume services on August 22, 2022. Please sign up for updates (blue button) above to receive information about the Fall 2022 events!