Tutoring in the Writing Center
Tutoring in the Writing Center is designed to increase student success and foster learning. Support for all reading and writing based assignments is available during all hours of operation, in person or online.
Appointments are held for 30-60 minutes and walk-ins in person / drop-ins online are dependent on tutor availability. To ensure that services are available to all students who seek them, in times of heavy traffic we may limit appointments and walk-in/drop-ins in order to serve as many students as we can. The Writing Center does reserve the right to make availability adjustments to serve the needs of all Mt SAC students.
What to Expect from a Tutor
- All tutors will provide competent, friendly, courteous service.
- Tutors will work with students to improve their understanding of an assignment, develop ideas, revise a given draft, or work on targeted areas of grammar, style, bibliographic citation, or formatting.
- Tutoring is a learning-centered activity, so expect to be working with the tutor to understand best practices for reading, brainstorming, drafting, developing, revising, and proofreading.
- Tutors will work on grammar with a student as indicated by the instructor or as requested by the student. Tutors may use, or refer students to, educational software available in the Center to help a student with grammar.
- Tutors can work on only one writing assignment at a time. Students with several essays need to sign up for separate appointments.
- Tutors cannot evaluate or assign a grade to a student's paper. Only faculty can evaluate student writing.
- Tutors cannot guarantee that student performance in class will improve by a certain grade or percentage points as a result of seeing a tutor (although multiple visits over time often lead to improved writing skills & better results).
- Each tutor will fill out a report documenting what took place in the tutoring session, which will be provided to the student directly.